Dutch Baby with Orange Sugar
adapted from Gourmet April 2009
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 large eggs at room temperature 30 minutes (run then under warm water if you’re in a hurry)
- 2/3 cup whole milk at room temperature ( I used 2% and was happy)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Put skillet on middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
Stir together sugar and zest in a small bowl.
Beat eggs with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and frothy, then beat in milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and continue to beat until smooth, about 1 minute more (batter will be thin).
Add butter to hot skillet and melt, swirling to coat. Add batter and immediately return skillet to oven. Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 25 minutes.
Serve immediately, topped with orange sugar.
Much thanks to Joy the baker for the recipe