Ginger Garlic Lamb Stew
- 1.162 kg boneless lamb shoulder (about 2.5 lbs)
Excess fat removed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp good olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece of ginger, about the size of a man's thumb - minced
- Salt & black pepper (it will cook down so do not over salt!) You could always adjust later
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste - I used half a jar of San Marzano Passata
- Juice of 1/4 of a lemon (or some kind of acid like a balsamic vinegar)
Heat a heavy bottomed wide pot on high heat, add the butter and brown the lamb pieces on all sides. Turn the heat down and add the minced garlic and ginger then when fragrant add salt, black pepper, tomato and lemon juice/vinegar.
Add enough water to cover the lamb, drizzle the olive oil and simmer on low under lamb is tender (keep topping it up with water if needed) It takes about 3 hours.
In the last hour and when it's tender continue cooking to remove most of the liquid until it's a nice thick flavorful stew. Check for salt and adjust seasoning if needed.
Enjoy with couscous, rice, pasta or as you see here some Freeka!