A fun healthy twist on Egypt's most popular and famous street food "Kushari"!
"Kushari Salad" A warm grain salad of healthy 5 grains, layered with lentils and kamut orzo pasta with a garlicky tomato dressing and all topped with crispy fried onions.
- 1 large onion (sliced finely and fried in 1/4 cup oil until crispy and brown- Drained, salted lightly then set aside for garnish) Reserve oil for later.
Ingredients: Mixed grain blend - I used half the package of President's choice 5 grain blend. Cooked according to the package. When tender drain and reserve extra liquid.
- 1/4 cup black lentils (soaked for at least 2 hours and boiled in lots of water until tender)
- 1/2 cup boiled Orzo pasta (I used a healthy kamut pasta)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes- Salt & black pepper
- 1 tsp white vinegar + a squeeze of lemon
- Drizzle olive oil
Layer the grains with the lentils and pasta.
- In the reserved oil used from frying onions sautee garlic, add tiny tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper. Add reserved liquid from grains, add vinegar/lemon juice. Remove from heat, drizzle olive oil.
Pour cherry tomato garlic dressing over layered grains, lentils and pastas and top with crispy fried onion.
Serve with hot sauce (to taste!)
Enjoy! Please watch the video for more detailed instructions.
For those of you who do not know what Kushari is .. here are some shots of the traditional recipe courtesy of my lovely sister.