Peach Upside Down Cake I
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in an 8 inch square pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg. Arrange peach halves, cut side down, in pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over peaches.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Remove cake from oven, and let stand in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto serving platter. Serve with whipped cream.
This recipe is truly fantastic!! The cake is amazing, you won't believe it until you try it. Substitute whatever fruit you want but canned peaches work just fine, this time I tried it with fresh pineapple and it was divine! Let me know what you think of that cake!!!